I got my beer kit from Amazon a few days ago and I finally got around to actually brewing the beer. I don’t have time in this post to go into it in detail, but you can see the materials that I used in the pictures. Sterilization of the utensils is very important. You can see that I even dropped the cans of malt extract into the disinfectant solution along with the can opener and spoon.
I didn’t sterilize the water jug, since it already had water in it. Hopefully this works out. I just drained off a quart at a time from the water jug and marked the water level so that I had some graduations to work off of when I went to top it back off with water once the wort was in.
I also didn’t buy an airlock. I just used a sterilzed needle to poke 2 small holes in the top of the jug near the front. I didn’t have anything but nail polish remover sitting around, so I swabbed the needle and the area around puncture site first with the nail polish remover. I then covered up the holes with a paper towel taped to the top of the fermenter. Hopefully this keeps bacteria out. I have no idea if this is going to work out.
You can see the finished graduated fermenter jug filled with wort, ready to brew away in the last pic. I put the jug into a large black garbage bag to ferment. I did this to keep out light for one, and also so that if it leaks, It will hopefully be contained.